The Society for the History of Alchemy and Chemistry (SHAC) has a long and distinguished history, having first been founded by J.R. Partington (1886-1965), Frank Sherwood Taylor (1897-1956) and Douglas McKie (1896-1967) in 1935. Read more on SHAC’s history here.
Today the Society is managed by a Council of 18 members, five of whom are currently based outside the UK. The Council normally meets twice a year and the day-to-day business of the Society is conducted by its officers: Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and Membership Secretary, Editor of Ambix, Book Reviews Editor and Newsletter Editor. The Annual General Meeting of the Society is held in the Autumn of each year. The Society is registered as a charity with the Charity Commision (registered number 313777) and is governed by its Constitution which was last amended in November 2010.
The Society’s archives have been deposited with the Museum for the History of Science, Oxford University, where they are available for scholars to consult.